University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Leave of Absence

Submitted by 21232f297a57a5a... on Mon, 08/10/2015 - 2:47pm
If you find it necessary to request a leave from your graduate program, you may apply for on-leave status by completing the Application for Leave of Absence (PDF).
A Leave of Absence may be granted for reasons such as:
  • Bereavement
  • Care-giving responsibilities
  • Maternity
  • Medical requirements
  • Military service
  • Parental responsibilities
  • Political service
To apply for a Leave of Absence, ensure you have completed the following steps:
  1. Read the Leave of Absence Policy as stated in the Graduate Calendar
  2. Submit the request to your home program in advance of the anticipated leave (or as soon as possible after the event necessitating the leave occurs)
  3. Attach all supporting documents to the request form
  4. If you have any questions, contact your home program
Frequently Asked Questions

What is the maximum length I can apply for leave?

You may apply for a minimum of one term and up to one year of leave at a time, with the possibility of renewing the leave for increased duration. If you are a Master’s student, maximum leave time with renewal is two (2) years. If you are a doctoral student, the maximum time is three (3) years.

How is the time of completion calculated if I am on leave?

The time on leave will not count as time in program. i.e., If you have been in the program for one year and then take a one year leave of absence, you will still have 3 years to complete the degree (since maximum time to complete a Master’s degree is four years).

Where do I submit the application?

You should speak with your supervisor(s) before you apply for a leave. Once the application is filled out, submit it to your home program for approval. If it is your first time applying for a leave and the length of the leave does not exceed one year, the program can review and approve your request. If the leave is more than one year or you have applied for leaves previously and the total length of leave is now more than a year, the application will be forwarded to the Faculty of Graduate Studies for approval.

Am I eligible for a paid maternity leave?

If your maternity leave will interrupt funding (of at least $12,000 annually) from your program or an agency, you may be eligible for paid maternity leave from the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
If you hold a Graduate Assistantship under the GSA Collective Agreement, please see the details for maternity leave in the agreement.
When you submit your request for a leave of absence with maternity as the reason, a review of your eligibility will be triggered automatically.
Some external funding agencies do have provision for maternity leave funding, check with your funding agency or contact

What happens to my funding when I go on a leave?

A leave usually interrupts funding although there are some awards that will end in the case of a leave. It is best to look at your situation specifically by contacting
Some external funding agencies do have provision for maternity leave funding, check with your funding agency or contact