As of September 1, 2014, new FGS Candidacy Regulations are in effect. Each program must revise its program-level requirements to ensure that they are in compliance with the new Candidacy Regulations. New requirements must be reviewed and approved by the Faculty of Graduate Studies Policy Committee prior to implementation.
Examinations conducted under the new candidacy regulations must follow the new Candidacy Administrative Processes (PDF).
All programs are expected to have started the review process and submitted proposed regulations for approval.
1. Submit your program candidacy requirements -- must use the provided template (Word) -- to FGS for review and approval.
2. Prior to submitting your proposal to FGS, ensure the proposal has gone through the following routing:
- Dean of home faculty (for information).A memo acknowledging that the Dean is aware of the changes must be provided within the proposal.
- FGS Policy Committee
Please contact Tanya Zdorenko if you have any questions about establishing your requirements.
- Program Candidacy Requirements Template (Word) updated July 2015
- Preparing for Candidacy Guidelines (Word) updated July 2015
- Oral Examination Procedure Guidelines (Word) updated July 2015
- Candidacy Administrative Processes (PDF) for examinations conducted under the new candidacy regulations
1. UPDATED!: Read the Preparing for Candidacy Guidelines (Word) to help you get started. Use the program candidacy template (Word) and oral component procedure guidelines (Word) to prepare the candidacy requirements document.
2. Candidacy: creatively promoting the student experience (PDF) -- Slides used at the candidacy work shop on September 26
- Some ideas generated during the workshop
- Expanded Taxonomy of learning (PDF)
- Research Skill Development Framework
3. Readings on rethinking candidacy:
- Professional Skills Development for Graduate Students (PDF)
- Professional and Personal Development in Contemporary Gerontology Doctoral Education
- Constructive Alignment in university teaching (PDF)
4. See an example: